By Krystle Carmona
Happy Father’s Day from The Hometown All Stars!
“Hey dad…wanna’ have a catch?” It is one of the most heartwarming scenes from arguably the best sports movies to ever grace the big screen; Field of Dreams gave us a front row view into the multifaceted relationship between father and son.
It uncovered the culture behind America’s pastime and revealed just how important the bonding experience is for fathers and their children. No wonder why Father’s Day falls during baseball season. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Okay, that might be a little farfetched, but let’s face it; baseball and dads go hand in hand. Now don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of moms out there on the field too, but in most cases, it’s dad who passes on the love of the game to his children, teaching them how to throw, taking them to their first major league game, and sideline “coaching” their batting practices. It’s a sport that brings families together, allowing them to create irreplaceable memories, on and off the field.
It is also probably the only sport where a father can play with his son professionally. Here’s a look at just some of the many famous father/son duos who have made it to the Major Leagues.
- Jack Doscher was the first son of a Major Leaguer (Herm Doscher) to play in the big leagues.
- Connie & Earle Mack and Bob & Joel Skinner are the only ones to have both a father and son manage a Major League team.
- On Aug. 31, 1990, Ken Griffey Jr. and Sr. became the first father-son teammates in MLB history.
- Cal Ripken Sr. passed down his lifetime love for the great game of baseball to his sons, Cal Jr. and Billy.
- The “home run king,” Barry Bonds, and his father Bobby Bonds have each made history for the San Francisco Giants.
- Buddy, David, and Mike Bell are the first multi-generation family on the list, and it all began with center and right fielder, Gus Bell.
- The Boones took it up a notch with Ray, Bob, Aaron and Bret all making major waves in the league.
- Cecil and Prince Fielder are possibly the best slugging father-son duo to play the game.
Wishing all the all-star dads around the world a Happy Father’s Day weekend and don’t forget we are offering FREE SHIPPING on all Hometown All Stars merchandise in honor of all the dads out there!